During World War Two, The Ninth Service Command Library Depot operated two bookmobiles that brought volumes to men stationed in isolated regions of the Pacific Coast. These bookmobiles, known as “mechanized library units” or “mobilibraries”, served 75 detachments located up and down the Coast, visiting each post an average of once every two weeks. Each vehicle had a route of over 2,200 miles and were both headquartered in the San Francisco base known as the Presidio.
Interior shot of the Presidio bookmobile that served during World War Two.
After The War, the Presidio continued to send books to soldiers serving in far-flung outposts, as this photo from the American Library Association demonstrates. The photograph is dated 1957, the location given is “‘A’ battery, 740th battallion.”